The purpose of the Seal of Biliteracy is:
· To enable students to be college, career, and community ready in a global society;
· To establish an educational culture that recognizes and values the wealth of linguistic and cultural diversity students bring to the classroom;
· To support opportunities for study of and increase proficiency in ‘Ôlelo Hawai‘i; and
· To encourage partnerships with institutions of higher education and community organizations to increase access to language instruction in a variety of languages.
Class of 2017 Applicant Criteria. The Class of 2017 Seal of Biliteracy criteria are as follows:
1. Must be a graduating senior enrolled in a Hawaii public or charter school.
2. Demonstrate a minimum overall 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) upon graduation.
3. Successfully complete English requirements for high school graduation with a minimum 3.0 GPA upon graduation.
4. Attain the requisite score for ONE of the following world language requirements:
a. A score of 3 or above on the Advanced Placement (AP) exam for a world language.
(AP World Language exams are available in Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, and Spanish.)
b. A score of 4 or above on the International Baccalaureate exam for a world language.
(IB exams are available to students currently enrolled in an IB program.)
**An applicant is responsible for payment of world language assessment fees.
Application Due Date –Friday, March 31, 2017. Class of 2017 Seal of Biliteracy applicants must complete and submit the signed Seal of Biliteracy application form (Attachment B) no later than Friday, March 31, 2017.
Application Submittals: Seal of Biliteracy applications for Class of 2017 applicants shall be submitted to the Office of Curriculum, Instruction and Student Support (OCISS):
· Via email: email@example.com
· By fax: (808) 735-8227
· Via U.S. mail: Postmarked no later than March 31, 2017 to DOE-OCISS Attn: Seal of Biliteracy, 475 22nd Avenue, Rm. 214, Honolulu, HI 96816