Where to find Accelerated Reader Books
***For all books not found in Leilehua's library, go to the AR Quiz Finder or log into your AR account in your English teacher's classroom to check which quizzes are available. Make sure you match the author and title.***
- Leilehua High School Library. Use the OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog) to find AR books available at our school library [Note: this link only works on our campus.]
- Other libraries, Public libraries, Sgt. Yano library.
- Your house, your friends house, used bookstores, etc.
(Contact your child's Language Arts teacher for more information)The requirements for the Accelerated Reader(AR) program at LHS are as follows:
- Students must pass 3 AR quizzes each quarter on books totaling at least 375 pages and pass the quiz with 70% accuracy or better. The books should be at the student's individual reading range.
- Students are required to write a reader response for each book read. This provides additional opportunity for the students to improve their writing skills.
- After each quiz, the student and teacher discuss the results and decides on the reading level of the next book.
- Students are provided 15 minutes of silent reading time in every class.
Does the AR Program Help Your Child?
Yes! School data indicate that student reading levels are improving according the to latest STAR reading results, as well from the Common Core.
How Can You Help Your Child?
- Talk to your child about the book he/she is currently reading. Ask to see the reading logs or reader responses.
- Read too! The school is sponsoring a "25 book club" challenge among the students, staff and parents. So far, two parents have read 25 books this year. Join them! For more information, click here.
- Take your child to the library! AR books can be obtained from any location (school, library, home). Just check the author and title to make sure we have the quiz.